Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Epiphany of sorts...

Today I was sitting at work, listening to the drone of fingers typing and voices on speakerphone, thinking of a central theme for my multi-genre piece, when it all of a sudden dawned on me: I should write a piece about myself! Now, to most authors that probably seems a little obvious to be classified as an epiphany, but I had been so focused on that graphic designer snippet that I wrote and so when the idea came to me I could literally see the brightness from the lightbulb above my head. I'm in the process of switching careers. And let me tell you, this isn't a minor switch, like for example from a banker to a financial planner. Nope. This switch is from a credit analyst with a finance degree and seven years of banking experience on the fast-track to being the company's first female CEO to a high school English teacher. It's a complete 180! In Blending Genre, Altering Style, Romano shows an example of another young woman making the switch out of a science major into a teaching major. Yesterday, when I read that, I thought it was interesting and creative. However, I didn't realize the genius behind it until this afternoon when I started thinking of my own piece. In my previous post, I listed genres and stated that I didn't know how a credit proposal would fit into my multi genre writing, but I've figured it out! My whole piece will be modeled after the credit proposals that I write on a daily basis. I can incorporate different genres into the different sections that focus on specific aspects of the loans I underwrite: Request, Purpose, Sources and Uses, Collateral Analysis, Officer Comments, Credit Comments... I'm really liking the possibilities that are floating around in my lil head! I'm even brainstorming ways to tie in financial statements...

Stay tuned as I share bits and pieces of firsts and final drafts as I begin writing my first multi-genre piece!

No comments: