Thursday, March 4, 2010

National Grammar Day!

This morning I woke up at 5:00 am, ended up leaving late, got stuck behind 3 different school buses, and forgot my oranges at home. Sounds like a bad day so far, right? Yeah... I thought so, too. That is, until I discovered that today is National Grammar Day! Seriously, I know you're just as excited as I am.

In honor of the holiday, here are a few refreshers of my favorite grammar mistakes. And by 'favorite' I mean most-hated-make-my-skin-crawl-OMG-why-are-people-stupid errors:

AHHHH!! If I had a dollar for every time I see these two words use incorrectly AT MY JOB I would be a millionaire. I don't understand why highly educated people still struggle with this concept.
YOUR = possessive, YOU'RE = you+are


Similarly, this mistake drives me just as crazy. (I am guilty of being lazy and omitting the apostrophe sometimes though, so don't hate me. I KNOW the difference)
ITS = possessive, IT'S = it is
I love Grammar Lady. She's the smartest person I know.
THERE = a place, THEIR = possessive, THEY'RE = they+are

You can find these posters and many more at Zazzle. I think they're delightful and just a tad bit snarky, which I love :)


No comments: