Thursday, July 9, 2009

Quotable Quote

A word is not a crystal, transparent and unchanged; it is the skin of a living thought, and may vary greatly in color and content according to the circumstances and the time in which it is used. **Oliver Wendell Holmes

This is what greeted me as I opened up our bank's intranet this morning. Usually the quotes are corny and overused, but this one struck me a little differently. Maybe it's because I'm starting to see the world through a writer's eye? Who knows. But I think this quote really speaks not only to the power of words, but how that power changes based on timing and context. Holmes gives the feeling that words are organic in nature and can evolve and take on a new identity based on the surroundings in which we, as authors, choose to place them.

Kind of a nice, unexpected start to my day : )

No comments: