Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pass-Along

*gets on soapbox*

I don't do this a lot (or ever?) but when I saw Jenna's post on That Wife today, I felt compelled to post a link. Jenna, who bravely posts about controversial issues, took a stand today to persuade people to stop using the words 'retard' and 'gay' in a negative way. This means, no more saying, "That's so gay" or "that's so retarded" or any other form of using that word.

I stopped using these words in high school after having teachers explain why they are so hurtful. It's something I never considered, and I urge you to read Jenna's post because she explains it so much more eloquently than I could.

Also, she references last week's Glee episode, in which Kurt's dad (the AMAZING Mike O'Malley - seriously though, I love him in this show) comes down hard, and I mean HARD, on Finn for using the word 'fag/faggy' when describing the redecorating Kurt did. That scene was powerful, absolutely powerful. I applaud Glee writers for portraying such a great message in a way that didn't feel preachy.

I'll admit, I've slipped and used 'gay' or 'retard' when I shouldn't have, and I feel awful about it. But, I think that making a conscious effort to eliminate the use of these words is necessary, and is the first step. Please go read Jenna's post and let me (and her!) know what you think.

Ok, I'm stepping down from my soap box now...

post signature

No comments: