Friday, November 20, 2009

Don't hate me...

...for what I'm about to say:

I'm not going to see New Moon today, or probably at all (definitely not in the theaters). Why, you ask? Because I'm over it. I caught the Twilight bug earlier this year and read the books (I'm going to teach high school English so I probably should know what's popular reading material, no?) and I even endorsed them on this here blog, but I'm so freaking over it now. I'd even go so far as to say that I wish I never mentioned how 'well written' the books are and how the 'characters are amazing' because I definitely have different feelings about the books now. I've read a lot of books since I read the Twilight series and my tastes have changed. I had a whole class on adolescent literature and my humble opinion is that there are so many more books out there that are written SO much better and have strong, well developed female characters (or just well developed characters in general). I still think the story itself is interesting, or I guess I should say I can see why it's appealing to so many people. But I have to admit that the Harry Potter series and J. K. Rowling get my vote for most compelling, fully tied together series. Plus, even when I was reading the books, I never developed a crush on Edward or Jacob. Neither one really did it for me; I guess that's why I have a hard time understanding why they're so appealing to everyone else. To each his/her own.

However, I am thankful that Stephenie Meyer's books have inspired so many non-readers to read. When it comes down to it, being a future English teacher, I think any type of reading is important. So, even though I've fallen off (more like jumped the hell off) the proverbial Twilight bandwagon, I'm glad it was written because SO many people read it. Does that make sense?

I'm also disappointed that New Moon is going to take away from this movie:


It looks SO good, plus I love Sandra Bullock and Kathy Bates. I think it will be interesting to see Sandra in a more serious role. I'm a sucker for true stories. There's also a book (!!!) which I'm adding to my list to read on Christmas Break! Oh- and how cool is this: Anna from Southern Champagne Wishes actually attended the high school where the story takes place! Check out her blog for some insider info on the school and the area. (You should check out her blog even if you're not interested in this movie because she posts pics of her shoes at the end of every entry. Talk about major footwear coveting!!)

Happy Weekend Everyone!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I am not seeing Twilight this weekend and going to check out The Blind Side instead too! Glad to hear I am not the only one.

I am also concerned that New Moon is going to take away from Precious, which I also want to do really well.