Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Some Scary Shit

Ok, not so much "scary" as in axe-murderer-scary, but more like holy-F-am-I-doing-the-right-thing scary. Let me explain: As most of you know (if you know me, or have at least read my blog header) I'm leaving my banking job and becoming a high school English/econ teacher (yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. There are no jobs in Michigan. Teaching is hard. Yeah, so I've heard. Thanks for the support..) Anyways, I'm about two-thirds through my current semester, which means I've only got one more semester before I have my English major complete. So what does that mean, you ask? It means that shit is about to get Crazy (with a capital C).

I've decided to enroll in the Graduate Teaching Certification program at GVSU. This is a year-long program specifically designed for the individual who already has obtained a degree from an accredited university and holds a teachable major... blah blah blah. Basically I didn't think I qualified for the program because my Finance degree isn't 'teachable' (which, let me tell you, I think it should be! Do you have any idea of the number of people who can't balance their own checkbooks!!! [not that I actually do it, but I know how if I ever find myself carrying a checkbook around] It's ridiculous how stupid people are with their money! Maybe a finance class or two in high school will teach those kids a thing or two about good money management! ....yeah probably not.). Well, since I've almost completed my English major and econ minor, and both of those subjects are teachable, turns out I qualify for the GTC. Luckily I found out approximately 9 days before the application, complete with 3 letters of recommendation, was due. So yeah, I've been scrambling around campus trying to get my application finished so I can be admitted to the program. Which of course, only admits a limited nubmer of students once a year.

So last night I went to the GTC informational seminar. Apparently I'm 'ahead of the game' because I had already figured out what they spent an hour telling me last night. (yes, that's right folks, that internet thing came in handy as I was researching my grad program. who would've thought!) As it turns out, I'll start full time grad-school in June, if I'm accepted. And I freakin' better be accepted!!

This leap into grad school scares the shit out of me for two reasons: 1.) I have to quit my job. That means no insurance, no income, no benefits, nothin'. I've got to figure out a way where I can make some money either from home (which I'm doubting will happen) or at night/on the weekends (which will burn me out, I'm sure). So, short of selling myself on the corner, I haven't come up with any ways to make money next year. 2.) This is where they separate the men from the boys (or, excuse me, the women from the girls). The program is really intense. It's 6 weeks of full time grad classes, and I'll still have one econ class to complete. So 3 summer classes at once. Yikes!!! Then, I'll be working in a school 3 days a week for a semester, with 3 additional classes that are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After that semester is finished, I'll have my final semester of student teaching, 5 days a week, like a real, live teacher. I hope I can handle this! I think I can...

I take my Basic Skills test Saturday (at 7am in Grand Rapids! Which means I have to get up at like 5:30 so I can be out the door by 6:00 so I can be in GR by 7! How am I supposed to take a test that early...) and I'm kind of nervous, but I've heard it's really easy. Then I have to take my English and economics content area tests on January 9th. I'm freakin' out about the econ test. But I just have to pass and they don't report the actual scores.... so wish me luck!!

No comments: